[emboss-dev] Repeated "unknown output format" messages from seqret

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Aug 10 16:13:24 UTC 2009

Hi all,

Peter has mentioned supressing repeated error messages (e.g. if
on converting from Sanger FASTQ to Solexa FASTQ the quality
scores must be truncated at a maximum of 62). I've got another
example which is probably going to be more common:

$ seqret -filter -sformat fastq-sanger -osformat fastq-illuminaa <
SRR001666_1.fastq | grep "^@SRR" | wc -l
Error: Unknown output format 'fastq-illuminaa'
Error: Unknown output format 'fastq-illuminaa'
Error: unknown output format 'fastq-illuminaa'
Error: unknown output format 'fastq-illuminaa'

I think getting the "unknown output format" message once is enough,
and 7 million times is overkill ;)

This was of course a user error - a simple typo - what I meant was:

$ seqret -filter -sformat fastq-sanger -osformat fastq-illumina <
SRR001666_1.fastq | grep "^@SRR" | wc -l
 7047668

Thanks!

Peter C.