[emboss-dev] USA syntax and `%' character in sequence file names

ajb at ebi.ac.uk ajb at ebi.ac.uk
Thu Oct 23 21:47:54 UTC 2008

Hi Nicolas,

What it does, given a USA like:

    foo%10

is to seek 10 bytes into file foo and try to start
reading a sequence from there. It does not, however, currently check that
what appears after the '%' is a valid number. I believe invalid numbers
are equivalent to an offset of 0.

I suspect it might have been intended as a useful debugging tool for
the programmer rather than as something for the biologist.
If we leave it as an option we ought to mention it the documentation
in some form though.

ATB

Alan