[emboss-dev] Emboss on Opterons

ajb at ebi.ac.uk ajb at ebi.ac.uk
Wed Nov 2 09:29:53 UTC 2005

> This version of gcc doesn't define __amd64__, but rather defines
> __x86_64__.  Ajfmt.[ch] need to be modified to use the latter define,
> otherwise they'll segfault.
>
> Just thought you might like to know,

There seems to be little standardisation over the naming of that define,
if anything is defined at all. Thanks for the info. I was intending waiting
to see whether the compiler people came to some agreement. That may be
wishful thinking.

Of course, people can still do:
   setenv CFLAGS __amd64__
before configuring emboss and EMBOSS will then work even for those
platforms that define __x86_64__.

I'll put in a specific test for __x86_64__ into CVS soon. Thanks again.

Alan