required vs optional

James Bonfield jkb at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Wed Feb 7 17:16:49 UTC 2001

On Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 05:07:34PM +0000, Peter Rice wrote:
> I don't see how this is different from testing required, parameter and
> optional in turn, which is what the code will do.
>
> Basically, needed is 'required or parameter or optional' ... every time.
>
> You would then have the choice of including/excluding the optional ones, just
> like a 'real' user.

But I've already found one case (shuffleseq) where it is stated to be "req: N"
(and defaults to opt:y), in which case I (wrongly) grey it out as it's never
needed.

And of course there are other cases where the existing syntax is sufficient,
but it's not actually used (eg all those options in pepwheel).

What am I missing?

James

--
James Bonfield (jkb at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk)   Tel: 01223 402499   Fax: 01223 213556