Proposal: new menu layout, with examples

James Bonfield jkb at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Mon Apr 30 16:10:12 UTC 2001

On Mon, Apr 30, 2001 at 04:19:18PM +0100, Gary Williams, Tel 01223 494522 wrote:
> Some commments (more minor niggles than anything major):

Thanks for this list of comments. I'll try and reorganise things further.

> Firstly, I am a 'splitter', I like having several paths to a program, so
> many of my comments related to terseness have been removed from this
> version of this message ;-)

Grin. I agree that having multiple paths can be useful for novice users, and
there are a _few_ programs in multiple places (eg compseq) in my new menu
layout. However I consider it to be a trade off between not being able to find
something and not being able to see it due to too many programs listed. I
guess we just differ on the break-even point :)

> I would like to see a 'codon usage' section with things like 'cusp',
> 'chips' 'syco' 'cai' in.

That makes sense. I'm not really familier with most of the EMBOSS tools; or
some of the fields it covers either.

I'll notify the list when I update the menu files again.

> I enforce a description that has as many keywords as possible and that
> fits on a 80 character line when displayed by 'wossname'.
>
> I also try to enforce capital first letter and no ending full-stop (to
> shave off an extra character).
>
> I try to capitalise acronyms and database names.

Are such things documented, so that new developers follow the same rules? Of
course it can be rather hard to get anyone to read documentation (myself
included).

James

--
James Bonfield (jkb at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk)   Tel: 01223 402499   Fax: 01223 213556