Proposal: new menu layout, with examples

James Bonfield jkb at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Mon Apr 30 14:44:37 UTC 2001

Now that several interfaces to EMBOSS are arriving I feel that it is important
to have a well structured menu system (as indicated in my last email).

I now have a proposed layout, included as an attachment. It may be hard to see
the problem with the existing setup, so I've produce a tcl/tk to display a
menu tree and created menu specs for how it is now (1.11.0, so nearly now) and
my new proposed setup. My new layout still has quite a few questionable
choices, and perhaps I could duplicate more often (although personally I
dislike that) and split into more cascading menus. However it's a start[1].

So if you're interested in developing interfaces to EMBOSS, or you are one of
the developers, please download the following:

    ftp://ftp.mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk/pub/staden/private/emboss_dev/em.tar.gz

See the README file for information on how to run the tcl/tk app. It ought to
work OK even on pretty old tcl/tk installations.

James

[1] I should also point out that in "Spin" the menu labels are actually the
program doc lines with the program command name in brackets (eg "Finds DNA
inverted repeats (einverted)"). However I haven't addressed the issue of a
common language style for doc names yet.

--
James Bonfield (jkb at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk)   Tel: 01223 402499   Fax: 01223 213556
Also see Staden Package WWW site at http://www.mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk/pubseq/