[DAS2] approval and maintenance of DAS/2 URI namespaces

Garret Wilson garret at globalmentor.com
Thu Mar 6 21:20:24 UTC 2008

Hi, Steve! Thanks for the reply.

The issue I raise is not resolvability---whether I can use an HTTP GET
to retrieve some bytes at the location identified by the URI is a
separate issue.

Likewise the issue is not opacity---a genome assembly URI of
<http://biodas.or/cheesesandwich> would work just fine if we all agreed
to use it.

The issue I raise is solely that of URI namespace ownership and
management. Let me give an example. Why don't we simply use the NCBI
identifier "B36.1" to identify the latest Homo sapiens genome assembly,
instead of inventing URIs to do the same thing? The answer is that
"B36.1" has no managed namespace, so that anyone could use the
identifier "B36.1" to identify anything---the flavor of a milkshake, for
instance. Using URIs prevents clashes by dividing up the identifier
space into namespaces, each managed by whoever is responsible for that
namespace (based upon DNS managed by IANA).

If someone who doesn't own a namespace (e.g. DAS2) starts reaching over
into somebody else's namespace (e.g. NCBI) and starts using that
namespace to create identifiers (e.g.
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.hin.gov/genome/...>), then the namespace benefit of
URIs has been negated. In fact, if the URIs are opaque and unresolvable,
removing the benefit of namespace management means that URIs now have no
benefit that I can think of over bare strings as IDs. That is my issue
and concern.

If the NCBI would come on board and start publishing URIs in its
namespace to identify its genome assemblies (or even to officially
ratify the URIs DAS2 has come up with), that would be ideal. If this
doesn't happen, I'd recommend switching to URIs in a namespace DAS2
manages (producing e.g. <http://biodas.org/genome/H_sapiens/ncbi:B36.1/>
or whatever.)

Garret