[DAS2] current status of DAS

Andreas Kahari ak at ebi.ac.uk
Mon Sep 25 12:35:04 UTC 2006

Sent to list on behalf of Eugene Kulesha (non-subscriber).
    - Andreas K.

----- Forwarded message from Eugene Kulesha <ek at ebi.ac.uk> -----
Subject: Re: [DAS2] current status of DAS
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 10:46:48 +0100
From: Eugene Kulesha <ek at ebi.ac.uk>
To: Rowan Kuiper <rowankuiper at hotmail.com>
CC: das2 at lists.open-bio.org

>- First of all, will DAS2 ever be finished.
good question :) although it stopped worrying me a long time ago ;)

>DAS is still alive or is there something else that took its place?
it certainly is in Ensembl

>- Why don?t all servers support all commands. Some reference servers for
>example don?t support the entry_point command. How do I request features
>when I don?t know which segments the server contains? I imagine that these
>great differences in how to use different servers could be very problematic
>when implementing a viewer.
i guess it was done in part so das could be adopted quicker, but I have to
admit that I was very much frustrated by
the fact that very few sources implement 'entry_points' command

>- It seems that the only way to retrieve information from a server is to do
>a request for a certain region. Is there a way to ask for a specific
>features.
yes, features?feature_id=XXXX would give you the feature ( if feature_id is
implemented )

http://www.ensembl.org/das/Homo_sapiens.NCBI36.transcripts/features?feature_id=ENSE00001253754

>- When I have to serve data that needs some extension on the XML structure,
>would it be a problem to just do it. How would clients handle these
>extensions. Ignore them or somehow parse them?
I'm not quite sure what Bio::DasLite ( this is what we use to parse DAS
but even if it parses the extension Ok, Ensembl will ignore the unknown
properties ..

>- And last, one of the goals of DAS is to be able to integrate biological
>data. When I for example want to compare my data to EnsEMBL features I will
>have to set up my own server that serves features referenced to the same
>genome as the EnsEMBL features. So I wonder if there exists reference
>servers that contain the current genomes  of EnsEMBL, NCBI or UCSC.  I
>found http://das.ensembl.org/das/ensembl_Homo_sapiens_core_38_36 which
>always replies an out of memory error even with the entry_points command
>and http://das.ensembl.org/das/ensembl1834 which seems to work properly but
>its transcript server ens1834trans also returns out of memory errors.

http://www.ensembl.org/das/dsn have the list of all the sources that we
serve from internal ensembl data

amongst them there are reference sources, e.g

http://www.ensembl.org/das/Homo_sapiens.NCBI36.reference
http://www.ensembl.org/das/Mus_musculus.NCBIM36.reference

Cheers

Eugene Kulesha