[DAS2] Notes from the weekly DAS/2 teleconference, 9 Oct 2006

Andrew Dalke dalke at dalkescientific.com
Mon Oct 23 16:19:03 UTC 2006

On Oct 9, 2006, at 6:30 PM, Steve Chervitz wrote:
> [A] Ask andrew about feature group assembly resolution, if any.

As far as I know there was no resolution.

At last standing the problem is as follows.  Consider a complex
annotation
with a single parent A and a single child B.

There are several ways to represent this

Option 1:

   <FEATURE uri="A" part="B"/>
   <FEATURE uri="B" parent="A"/>

This is the current spec.  Parents point to children and children to
parents.  This was different than the GFF-style where only the children
have a parent reference.  My hope was to assemble complex annotations
while reading the data from the remote server.

In practice this streaming assembly proved hard to implement.  The
algorithm is non-trivial for complex structures so most people will
do the assembly only after reading all features.  Also, there's a
possible error when parents don't list all children or vice versa,
and likely most clients won't fully validate, so a top-down and a
bottom-up assembly may give different results for the same server.

Option 2:

   <FEATURE uri="A"/>
   <FEATURE uri="B" parent="A"/>

This is the GFF-style.  The main limitations are support for streaming
data, such as showing partial results while downloading and converting
to/from other formats.  In both cases this is because parent nodes may
(and do) occur after children nodes, and there's no knowledge that all
children have been seen.

There is a problem in both option1 and option2 of not easily detecting
cycles or multi-rooted structures.

Variation: require that children are listed after parents.

Option 3:

<FEATURE-GROUP>
   <FEATURE uri="A"/>
   <FEATURE uri="B" parent="A"/>
</FEATURE-GROUP>

That is, put all features which are part of the same feature group into
a single element.  This is essentially like the ### "no forward