[DAS2] Ontology URIs (was RE: types.rnc)

Helt,Gregg Gregg_Helt at affymetrix.com
Thu Nov 9 18:07:32 UTC 2006

DAS/1
> which DAS/2 is aiming at).
>
> The ontology attribute in the type element is currently documented as:
>
>   # ontology identifier.  The naming scheme is still undecided.
>   # This will be a URI.
>   attribute ontology { text }?,
>
> I think this is too vague. It's subject to lots of interpretation as
> what
> it could point at and what it might resolve to. It could justifiably
be
> used
> to identify any of these:
>
>   - a specific term in an ontology
>   - the ontology as a whole (e.g., homepage of GO)
>   - evidence code (as in the example below)
> The so_accession attribute gets us most of what we want and should
suffice
> for this freeze. In one fell swoop it identifies the ontology and a
> particular term within it, and it defers the issue of ontology URIs.
>
> Some SO things to consider:
>
> 1) Should so_accession be restricted to SOFA (only locatable feature
> types)?
> If so, call it sofa_accession. (maybe too limiting)
>
> 2) What about SO versioning? Maybe a 'so_version' attribute would make
> sense
> (so_version="SOFA 2.1"). SO term IDs are stable across releases, but
> sometimes terms become obsolete and are no longer listed.
>
> Steve

The "ontology" attribute of the TYPE element is meant to be an
identifier for a specific ontology term in the SO or SOFA.  It (and its
placeholder, "so_accession") is the only place where any part of DAS/2
depends directly on an ontology.  GO terms (or any other ontology) can
be used as properties of features -- the biopackages server does this
for example.  But it is done using a generic property mechanism that
makes no mention of ontologies, and the DAS/2 spec does not mention or
depend on any ontology other than SO.

The reason there is both an "ontology" and "so_accession" attribute is
that we didn't have an official SO URI syntax to refer to, so we created
a temporary "so_accession" attribute to use until we had something to
put in for "ontology".  Since the ontology attribute can _only_ be from
SO or SOFA, I agree with Steve that we could collapse "so_accession" and
"ontology" down to one attribute and use a prefix shorthand for SO/SOFA
terms, for example "SO:0000147".  This has the nice property that the
shorthand is in fact a legal absolute URI, and therefore unaffected by
any "xml:base" attributes in the document.  I'd instead prefer this URI
to be a URL that points to a description at the biomedical ontology
center.  But specifying that the attribute is a URI allows both the
shorthand and later a more official link.

Allen Day and Brian O'Connor have implemented an ontology server with an
HTTP API that fits in very well with DAS/2, where each ontology term has
its own URI.  This was discussed back on the DAS/2 mailing list in
February and I think Chris had some concerns, here's the start of the
thread:
http://portal.open-bio.org/pipermail/das2/2006-February/000507.html .
To avoid divergence I've been reluctant to devote more resources to this
unless it was in collaboration with the ontology center.

I don't think we really need SO versioning -- to be useful it places an
extra burden on the ontology maintainers.  And looking at the current
SO, when a term becomes obsolete it is still included in the ontology,
it just gets flagged with an "is_obsolete:true" tag.

Andrew's comment below made me realize we may have another problem --
not annotation with multiple ontologies, but rather annotation with
multiple terms from the SO.  I had thought each feature type could be
based on a single ontology term (maybe using SO composite terms:
http://www.bioontology.org/wiki/index.php/SO:Composite_Terms), but
looking at the latest SO I don't think we can make this assumption.
Which argues that "so_accession" should be a child element of TYPE
rather than an attribute, and one or more be allowed.  Or am I reading
the SO wrong?  Lincoln?  Chris?

As far as Chris' question as to what exactly an ontology URL should
dereference to, relative to the DAS/2 spec I don't think it matters too
much.  An XML response with some structured description like what
Allen's server returns would be nice, but I could see the benefits of
HTML as the default too.  Did I mention I'm a fan of content
negotiation?  In most of the DAS/2 HTTP GET requests, we have optional
"format=" query parameter arguments to allow alternative format requests
even in situations where HTTP content negotiation is not
straightforward.

	Gregg

ontology="http://www.geneontology.org/GO.evidence.shtml">35138</TYPE>