[DAS2] Ontology URIs (was RE: types.rnc)

Steve Chervitz Steve_Chervitz at affymetrix.com
Thu Nov 9 01:07:42 UTC 2006

Seems like we may need to freeze the spec in a state that is fairly
non-committal w/r/t how ontology identifiers work. I propose to remove the
parts that are still not nailed down, so that we don't engender the creation
of mutually incompatible implementations (one of the problems with DAS/1
which DAS/2 is aiming at).

The ontology attribute in the type element is currently documented as:

  # ontology identifier.  The naming scheme is still undecided.
  # This will be a URI.
  attribute ontology { text }?,

I think this is too vague. It's subject to lots of interpretation as to what
it could point at and what it might resolve to. It could justifiably be used
to identify any of these:

  - a specific term in an ontology
  - the ontology as a whole (e.g., homepage of GO)
  - evidence code (as in the example below)

The so_accession attribute gets us most of what we want and should suffice
for this freeze. In one fell swoop it identifies the ontology and a
particular term within it, and it defers the issue of ontology URIs.

Some SO things to consider:

1) Should so_accession be restricted to SOFA (only locatable feature types)?
If so, call it sofa_accession. (maybe too limiting)

2) What about SO versioning? Maybe a 'so_version' attribute would make sense
(so_version="SOFA 2.1"). SO term IDs are stable across releases, but
sometimes terms become obsolete and are no longer listed.

Steve