[DAS2] Why use URIs for feature IDs?

Helt,Gregg Gregg_Helt at affymetrix.com
Thu Feb 9 16:40:34 UTC 2006

Interesting, I hadn't fully absorbed part 4 of the URI spec (rfc2396).
So if I understand correctly:

If we replace everywhere we've called something a "URI" with "URI
reference" we're being correct -- a URI reference can be an absolute or
relative URI, and can also include a fragment identifier.  And according
to the spec saying "the URI" means the absolute URI, not the relative
URI.  So to restate, I think the ids we use in DAS/2 should be URI
references.  Maybe instead of "id" or "uri" we should use "uri_ref" for
the attribute name?

I still see no reason to exclude URI references with fragment
identifiers, though I agree with Lincoln that actually resolving a URL
with a fragment is problematic.  But we're not guaranteeing that these
URI references are URLs anyway.

The capabilities "query_id" attributes are another story.  These need to
be not just URI references but also resolve via XML-Base to full URLs.

	gregg