[DAS2] Why use URIs for feature IDs?

Helt,Gregg Gregg_Helt at affymetrix.com
Thu Feb 9 15:27:57 UTC 2006

I think that as Thomas says, using URI fragment notation,
http://das2.sanger.ac.uk/ensembl35/features#id12345
is a perfectly valid URI and thus is acceptable as a feature ID.

But, if the intent is to construct feature URIs using fragment
identifiers in combination with either ID attributes (as defined in a
DTD) or xml:id attributes, as an alternative approach to URI = ID
attribute with xml:base resolution, I think it would get messy.

As I understand it a fragment identifier approach would mean
URI = (URL of doc feature XML is embedded in) + "#" + value of feature's
ID attribute.  But then if the feature is returned as part of a query,
say:
http://das2.sanger.ac.uk/ensembl35/features?overlaps=chr1/10000:20000
and the feature with attribute id="id12345", then the feature URI using
standard fragment notation would be
http://das2.sanger.ac.uk/ensembl35/features?overlaps=chr1/10000:20000#id
12345
In other words there would be a very large number of possible feature
URIs, with query string gunk in them, identifying the same feature.
Unless we define a nonstandard way of constructing fragment identifiers
that chops off the query string.

Instead of something nonstandard I'd rather use xml:base, adhere to the
XML Base spec, and allow the feature id attribute to be full or relative
URIs.  Then specifying in the top element that
xml:base = http://das2.sanger.ac.uk/ensembl35/features/, a feature
returned by the features query whose with attribute id="id12345"
resolves the feature URI to:
http://das2.sanger.ac.uk/ensembl35/features/id12345

There might even be a way to fiddle with xml:base and id to use a "#"
instead of the last "/", though I'm not at all sure about that.

	gregg