[DAS2] <CATEGORY> elements

Andrew Dalke dalke at dalkescientific.com
Tue Feb 7 09:22:56 UTC 2006

Ed Erwin wrote:
> None of your examples vary the words "segments", "types" or
> "features", but it is legal to do so, right?:
>
>            segments at "ensembl.org/das2/genome_A/build_1/segment"
>            features at "example.com/A/version_x/things/and/more/things"
>            types at "example.com/A/rhinoceros"
>
> OK, so no one is likely to go that far, but is it legal for example to
> use non-plural "segment", "feature" and "type" ?

Yes.  My goal is two-fold.  First, make no assertions on the internal
organization of the DAS server.  Machines can change, directories
can move around.

The specific advantages are:
   - annotation servers can all point to the same "segments" server
   - multiple versions of the same genomic source and on the same
       machine can reuse the same "types" server

Another thought, perhaps too old-fashioned for modern web development,
is that the query URLs are cgi scripts in a "cgi-bin" directory
while the data files are flat-files in some other directory.

Simiarly, the query url if a CGI script might end with a ".cgi"
or ".pl" extension.

My second goal is to develop a recommended layout.

					Andrew
					dalke at dalkescientific.com