[DAS2] Re: Apollo and DAS/2 priorities

Andrew Dalke dalke at dalkescientific.com
Mon Feb 6 13:42:03 UTC 2006

Dave Howorth:
> Doing that automatically invalidates the document does it not?
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-xml-20040204/#NT-prolog
>
> "Definition: An XML document is valid if it has an associated document
> type declaration and if the document complies with the constraints
> expressed in it.
>
> The document type declaration MUST appear before the first element in
> the document."

I think this page summarizes it nicely:
http://www.xml.com/lpt/a/2002/09/04/xslt.html

     "Valid" is a technical term referring to the presence
     of and conformance to a DOCTYPE declaration.

XML documents w/o a DTD are "well-formed".  XML documents
with a DTD and which agree with the DTD are "valid".

In this case not being "valid" does not mean that the
document is "invalid XML".

As I understand things, it's perfectly fine to pass well-formed
but not valid XML documents around.

					Andrew
					dalke at dalkescientific.com