[DAS2] DAS and DAS2

Steve Chervitz Steve_Chervitz at affymetrix.com
Thu Dec 7 18:41:57 UTC 2006

DAS applications generally take the form of graphical genome browsers,
protein feature/structure browsers, and even gene information browsers.

I don't necessarily have a comprehensive list of DAS clients in current use
today, but here are a few of the major ones I know of (anyone else: feel
free to chime in here):

IGB: http://genoviz.sourceforge.net
Gbrowse: http://www.gmod.org/gbrowse_installation
Ensembl: http://www.ensembl.org/info/data/external_data/das/ensembl_das.html
Spice: http://www.efamily.org.uk/software/dasclients/spice/
Dasty: http://www.ebi.ac.uk/das-srv/uniprot/dasty/content?ID=:dis=BioSapiens
Dasty2: http://www.ebi.ac.uk/~rafael/pre_dasty2/

For an example of how Ensembl acts as a DAS client for gene information
browsing, see the "Gene DAS Report" section of this page:
http://www.ensembl.org/Homo_sapiens/geneview?gene=ENSG00000165029

Here's an insteresting review of EBI DAS clients:
http://www.ebi.ac.uk/~rafael/das/index.php?display=clients

When the wiki version of biodas.org gets set up, a page devoted to various
clients and their DAS/1 vs DAS/2 support status would be a good idea.

Steve