[DAS2] tiled queries for performance

Andrew Dalke dalke at dalkescientific.com
Thu Nov 24 02:52:35 UTC 2005

Allen:
> No other clients have previously requested this range, so the
> server-side cache faults to the DAS/2 service (slow).

Admittedly I'm curious about this.  Why is this slow?  What does
slow mean?  I assume "cannot be returned faster than the network
will take it."

How many annotations are in the database?  Figuring one annotation
for every ... 100 bases? gives me 30 million.  Shouldn't a range
search over < only 30 million be fast?  Is this being done in the
database?  Which database and what's the SQL?

If the DB is the bottleneck then pulling it out as a specialized
search might be worthwhile.

What I'm driving at for this is this.  The proposal feels like
a workaround for a given implementation.  To use it requires
more smarts in the client.  Why not put that logic on the server?

					Andrew
					dalke at dalkescientific.com