[DAS2] Getting individual features in DAS/1

Ilari Scheinin ilari.scheinin at helsinki.fi
Fri Nov 18 15:22:47 UTC 2005

This mail is not really about DAS/2, but the web site says the
original DAS mailing list is now closed.

I am setting up a DAS server that serves CGH data from my database to
a visualization software, which in my case is gbrowse. I've already
set up Dazzle that serves the reference data from a local copy of
Ensembl. I need to be able to select individual CGH experiments to be
visualized, and as the measurements from a single CGH experiment
cover the entire genome, this cannot of course be done by specifying
a segment along with the features command.

I noticed that there is a feature_id option for getting the features
in DAS/1.5, but on a closer look, it seems to work by getting the
segment that the specified feature corresponds to, and then getting
all features from that segment. My next approach was to use the
feature type to distinguish between different CGH experiments. As all
my data is of the type CGH, I thought that I could use spare this
piece of information for identifying purposes.

First I tried the generic seqfeature plugin. I created a database for
it with some test data. However, getting features by type does not
seem to work. I always get all the features from the segment in
question.

Next I tried the LDAS plugin. Again I created a compatible database
with some test data. I must have done something wrong the the data
file I imported to the database, because getting the features does
not work. I can get the feature types, but trying to get the features
gives me an ERRORSEGMENT error.

I thought that before I go further, it might be useful to ask whether
my approach seems reasonable, or is there a better way to achieve
what I am trying to do? What should I do to be able to visualize
individual CGH profiles?

I'm grateful for any advice,
Ilari