[DAS2] Re: New problem with content-type header in DAS/2 server responses!

Ed Erwin ed_erwin at affymetrix.com
Thu Nov 10 22:49:47 UTC 2005

Andrew Dalke wrote:
> Further refining this from today's phone meeting
>
> Ed:
>
>> For a user (let's call her Varla) using IE, the browser will intercept
>> some error codes and present her with some IE-specific garbage,
>> throwing away any content that was sent back in addition to the error
>> code.
>

> The case Ed came across was from an in-house group using a Windows call
> out to IE as a background process to fetch a web page.  In that case
> (as I understand it) it would convert HTTP error responses into its own
> error messages.
>
> Ed couldn't during the conversation recall if it was possible to
> get ahold of the error code at all.  Did they have to parse the output?

Here is some info from microsoft about these "friendly HTTP error messages":

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q218155/

Note that whether the real error message gets through seems to depend on
  both the error code, and the length of the content.  How is that friendly?

>> (I did test having the NetAffx DAS server send HTTP status codes, and
>> I did have problems with that in IGB, though I've forgotten the
>> specifics.  It was about a year ago....)
>

> Do you have the specifics perhaps in an old email somewhere?

I can look around when I get back from vacation, which I'm on all next week.

Ed