[DAS2] Re: New problem with content-type header in DAS/2 server responses!

Andrew Dalke dalke at dalkescientific.com
Thu Nov 10 20:01:45 UTC 2005

Lincoln:
> I didn't know that X-DAS-Status had ever been deprecated. I strongly
> feel that
> the DAS status codes are separate from the HTTP codes and should not
> try to
> piggyback on the HTTP status line.

I'm okay with not having the assertion "something happened at the
DAS level" not be in the HTTP status code.  Not ecstatic, but real
world trumps purity.

I don't like the idea of adding new HTTP headers for this information.

In my client code I need to do the following:

   - was there an HTTP error code?
   - is the return content-type correct?

Having another header means I write

   - was there an HTTP error code?
   - was there a DAS error code?
   - is the return content-type correct?

I would rather have one less bit of code to do wrong.

As I also mentioned, I would like to support DAS annotations
made available through a basic Apache install and a set of files,
likely used by someone who just wants to provide annotations.
This is not one of the current design goals; should it be, or
should we require that everyone have more control over the
server?

					Andrew
					dalke at dalkescientific.com