[DAS2] Re: New problem with content-type header in DAS/2 server responses!

Ed Erwin ed_erwin at affymetrix.com
Thu Nov 10 18:33:58 UTC 2005

Andrew Dalke wrote:

>> This also has the added benefit of already being implemented for a few
>> months.  Are there objections to this solution?
>

> Yes.  Several.
>
> When did "X-DAS-Status" come back into the picture?  I thought
> we talked about this in spring and nixed it because it doesn't provide
> anything useful than the existing HTTP-level error code.  Or perhaps
> it was fall of last year?  I think I remember raking leaves at the time.
>
> More useful, for example, would be a document (html, xml, or otherwise)
> which accompanies the error response and gives more information about
> what occurred.

Using the HTTP-level error codes can cause problems.

For a user (let's call her Varla) using IE, the browser will intercept
some error codes and present her with some IE-specific garbage, throwing
away any content that was sent back in addition to the error code.

Even for a user (Marla this time) using IGB, firewalls and/or caching
and/or apache port-forwarding mechanisms can throw out anything with a
status code in the error range.

(I did test having the NetAffx DAS server send HTTP status codes, and I
did have problems with that in IGB, though I've forgotten the specifics.
  It was about a year ago....)

I don't care if status code is indicated with a header like
  the HTTP status code has to be a separate thing, and will usually be
"400" indicating that the user (sorry, I meant to say LeRoy)
successfully communicated with the DAS server.

Ed