[DAS2] hrefs and xml:base

Chervitz, Steve Steve_Chervitz at affymetrix.com
Fri May 6 18:25:56 UTC 2005

As far as I can tell, there is no restriction that an xml:base URI must end
with a /, but that seems to be the convention. In this case, constructing
relative URLs by concatenating ../ onto the xml:base URI should work.

Here¹s an xml:base tutorial that has a bunch of examples, in all cases
xml:base specifies a directory:
http://www.zvon.org/xxl/XMLBaseTutorial/Output/index.html

I did find an example of an xml:base that points to a file, but it¹s on a
MSDN site, making it therefore highly suspect:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnxmlnet/ht
ml/xinclude.asp

BTW, the W3C recommendation http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlbase/ doesn't mention
the use of ../ within an XML base spec. But since it's just a URI, it is
allowed. See the URI spec:
http://www.gbiv.com/protocols/uri/rfc/rfc3986.html#path

Steve