[DAS2] DAS/2 progress report - CSHL

Lincoln Stein lstein at cshl.edu
Mon Mar 21 16:45:02 UTC 2005

Hi Gregg,

Here is some material for the progress report:

DAS/2 Specification (CSHL)

The work on the DAS/2 specification has centered on two major
categories: enhancement of the retrieval protocol to support more
flexible queries, and development of a new writeback protocol to
support creation of new biological data objects and editing of
existing ones.

The changes to the retrieval protocol are finished.  It has been
enhanced to provide for retrieval of biological objects using
multiple combinations of attributes.  In DAS/1, objects could only be
retrieved using combinations of genomic position, object name, and
object type.  In DAS/2, objects can be retrieved using any
combination of arbitrary attribute: for example, genes can be
retrieved using GO terms or the presence of an orthologue in another
species.

The writeback protocol is roughly 75% complete. We have developed a
locking protocol, a scheme for requesting new identifiers, and a
scheme for addressing objects that are not yet created.  We have also
specified the protocol for writing new objects into the database.
However there is still ambiguity in the protocol for updating
existing objects, primarily decisions relating to the granularity of
updates. On the one hand, it might be desirable to be able to address
and update an individual field in an object. On the other hand, this
type of granularity significantly complicates the implementation of
the protocol and introduces issues relating to locking and atomicity
of updates.

Work on the protocol is continuing, however, and we anticipate that it
will be ready for public comment by the end of spring 2005.

Lincoln

--
Lincoln D. Stein
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory

NOTE: Please copy Sandra Michelsen <michelse at cshl.edu> on
all emails regarding scheduling and other time-critical topics.