[DAS2] structure DAS

Tim Hubbard th at sanger.ac.uk
Fri Jun 3 19:31:20 UTC 2005

Hi Andrew,

We already have a DAS1 enabled structure browser (SPICE - java
webstart based on JMol) as part of the efamily project - see here:

	http://www.efamily.org.uk/software/dasclients/spice/

This gets structure information from a reference DAS1 server that has
been extended with a 'structure' command (spits out 3D coordinates as
well as sequence).  There are various plugins for this server that
will server coordinate sets from raw PDB files, a replicated oracle
instance of MSD and structures contained in SRS.

SPICE can display features from DAS servers on either PDBRESNUM
coordinate or UNIPROT coordinate systems.  There's an DAS alignment
service (another DAS1 extension that we've implemented) that provides
the mapping between the two coordinate systems.

By default, SPICE gets information about available DAS servers from a
DAS server registry that we have setup and are starting to use
seriously.  The following is the interface for browsing lists, but
the registry itself is a webservice that can be called and queried
from clients

	http://das.sanger.ac.uk/registry/listServices.jsp

(select name 'UniProt' or 'PDBresnum' to get lists of what services
have been registered with this.  Both the efamily and Biosapiens
projects are using this)

This doesn't of course address true 3D DAS (DAS servers that provide
3D points or surfaces wrt to 3D structures) but it does allow us to
map sequence features onto structure easily and we'll be building on
it.

SPICE and the associated DAS extensions have been implemented by
Andreas Prlic <ap3 at sanger.ac.uk> - with some help from Thomas Down,
the developer of Dazzle and others at Sanger.  I'm sure they will
chime in with details to questions about this.

Tim

Dr Tim Hubbard                         email: th at sanger.ac.uk
Head of Human Genome Analysis          Tel (direct): +44 1223 496886
Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute        Tel (switch): +44 1223 834244
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus, Hinxton  Fax: +44 1223 494919
Cambridgeshire. CB10 1SA. UK.          URL: http://www.sanger.ac.uk/Users/th