[DAS2] transitioning from DAS/1 to DAS/2

Andrew Dalke dalke at dalkescientific.com
Mon Dec 5 22:22:14 UTC 2005

What should we do to make DAS/1 -> DAS/2 transitions easier?

For at least a year I expect there will be both DAS/1 and DAS/2
servers.  We have or will have clients which can handle both
interfaces.

I expect the metadata server should support both server types.
This means it must describe that data source "X" uses interface "A".

I also expect that "A" can be:
   - DAS/1 genomic annotations
   - DAS/1.5 structure annotations
   - DAS/2 genomic annotations
   - DAS/2 protein annotations
   - DAS/2 structure

We've already talked about the need for identifying the different
DAS/2 data sources, based on Andreas Prlic's comments.

But we didn't talk about how to handle DAS/1 data sets in
the metadata server.

At present I don't have even a sketch of an answer.

In theory this registry could be extended to a registery of many
different data sources and API (eg, 'go to this Oracle database,
which uses the biosql schema').  That's well outside the scope of
this question.

					Andrew
					dalke at dalkescientific.com