[DAS2] Human prototype server up

Helt,Gregg Gregg_Helt at affymetrix.com
Thu Apr 21 23:04:10 UTC 2005

You need to do an anonymous check-out the genoviz CVS module at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/genoviz/ and build the class files.
This assumes you have a Java SDK installed, version 1.4 or later.
You'll also need the xerces XML parser jar.

The test UI I'm working on for the DAS2 client is in the class
com.affymetrix.igb.view.Das2LoadView.  Once you've compiled the source,
you should be able to run it from the command line like this:

[java executable] -classpath "[path for genoviz];[path for xerces]"
com.affymetrix.igb.view.Das2LoadView

On my machine this translates to:
java -classpath
"c:/projects/genoviz/classes;c:/projects/genoviz/lib/xerces.jar"
com.affymetrix.igb.view.Das2LoadView

You're presented with a cascading series of choices: DAS2 servers -->
DAS2 sources --> DAS2 versions --> DAS2 regions, and your choice
triggers the appropriate DAS2 query to populate the next choice in the
cascade.  Once a version is selected, a DAS2 types query populates a
checkbox list of DAS2 types.  You can also test feature queries with
overlap and type filters by entering the min and max for the overlap
filter, selecting which types to filter by, and clicking on "Load
Features".  This will bring up a rudimentary visualization of the
sequence and the feature hierarchies returned by the query.  By default
it shows the whole length of the sequence, so you'll probably want to
zoom in using the slider on the top and the scrollbar on the bottom.
This viewer shows feature hierarchies as nested outlined boxes.  For
client-side data model, there are two additional levels of hierarchy
added above the root features -- the parent of the root features is a
request feature encompassing all the features returned by a single
feature request, and the grandparent is a container for all feature
requests of a given type on a single sequence (the model underneath this
breaks requests for multiple types into separate request for each type).

I just checked interaction of Das2LoadView with DAS2 test server at
das.biopackages.net, and it looks like there are still some issues with
correct handling of feature child/parent relationships.  I'll try and
figure out if it's a problem on the client end.

	thanks,
	gregg

http://das.biopackages.net/das/genome/chado/chado-Hsa-17/feature?overlap