[DAS] Multiple methods for a feature

Andy Jenkinson andy.jenkinson at ebi.ac.uk
Mon Oct 24 14:49:14 UTC 2011

Hi Leyla,

Quite simply, I imagine this is just unique to UniProt. Most peoples' DAS sources are for data generated from a single source, i.e. primary data.

But really I think your problem is that you are wanting to use the method to describe how the data behind your annotations is derived (e.g. an experiment, or publication) NOT how the annotation itself was derived (i.e. inferred by a curator). The semantics are a little fuzzy here, but if you were being pedantic about it you should consider the accuracy of this - is your annotation actually fully expressed by each of the evidence codes you are using?

For a contrived example, a curator comes to a conclusion that protein X is involved in a pathway A via these pieces of evidence:
Experiment 1 says protein X interacts with protein Y.
Experiment 2 says protein X interacts with protein Z.
Paper 3 says proteins Y and Z are part of pathway A.

So in this case, would you use the evidence codes of "inferred by experiment" and "inferred from publication", or whatever they are called, to support an annotation of "protein X is involved in pathway B"? These are not really several methods of producing the annotation - the actual method was the curator's ability to combine the conclusions of the other methods. So would you use "inferred by curator" instead?

Cheers,
Andy