[DAS] Adjacent feature extension

Thomas Down thomas.a.down at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 16:51:10 UTC 2011

There are several more-or-less separate issues tied up here that I see:

           1. Handling of PART/PARENT.  I neglected this completely in my
original proposal.  I can think of a couple of solutions:

                       a) Treat a whole PART/PARENT graph as a single
"complex" feature.  This means that you'll always get full graphs back from
any kind of feature query (modulo type filtering).  If any part of the
complex feature counts as "adjacent", then you'll get the whole thing back.

                       b) Specify the adjacent= filter as ignoring any
features with a PARENT attribute set.

               Jonathan/Andy, do either of you have an opinion on either of
these two.  I guess a) is probably the least likely to cause surprise?

          2. My idea that an overlapping feature can count as adjacent.
This initially seemed nice and simple but Andy's example of "SNP 2" has
shown why it's broken when you have overlapping features.  I'm quite happy
to have the adjacent filter only select features that don't overlap the
query position.

          3. Features with matching start/end positions (therefore "equally
adjacent").  I'm going to say "server picks" in this case.  The client at
least knows there's something there!  I actually think this situation will
be pretty rare in practice (for truly separate features, rather than having
a transcript and exon starting in the same position).

Does that tighten things up?

Andy, thanks for thrashing this out.  As you can probably work out, the use
cases I've been working to involve rather sparsely-distributed features, but
it's good to sort out the corner cases that arise as the density increases.

                          Thomas.