[DAS] Adjacent feature extension

Jonathan Warren jw12 at sanger.ac.uk
Mon Mar 7 12:16:05 UTC 2011

On 7 Mar 2011, at 12:01, Thomas Down wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 11:51 AM, Jonathan Warren <jw12 at sanger.ac.uk>
> wrote:
> As to feature-by-id, I know changing behaviour is potentially a very
> disruptive change, but I think we can potentially do this purely
> because servers don't tend to implement it correctly anyway. Clients
> can happily filter out any additional features returned by old
> servers, and if any clients are reliant on the server including all
> overlapping features then as far as I am concerned they are either
> a) targeting specific servers rather than DAS-wide and thus
> unaffected, or b) already broken :)
> So you agree feature-by_id should be changed if we have the stomach
> for it? - good and Gustavo too. Well done Andy - You have just
> agreed to write Spec 1.7 or 3??? ;) Your argument above can be used
> for leaving the spec as it is then as well - but ideally I agree and
> guess we can call it spec 1.61 assuming other people agree.
>
> I don't know quite how productive this particular worm-can will be,
> but FWIW I'd be happy to see it change.  The current spec has caused
> significant hassle (with both my client- and server-dev hats on!).
>
>                   Thomas.
>
> PS. One thing I would ask is: can we discuss the merits of the
> feature-adjacent extension independently of any possible changes to
> the core spec.  It's addressing some specific needs, and if we can
> get the last few wrinkles sorted out I'm very eager to get it
> finished and deployed soon.

Fair enough, adjacent features would be an extension and so not affect
the core spec. As you know a similar adjacent_feature proposal has
been posted before to the list and yes we should definitely come up
with a solution now.
I'd say if we don't have any more objections in the next couple of
days then go with your proposal as is? I'll then put support into the
registry this week if that is the case. If you could also then copy
the proposal from here https://github.com/dasmoth/dalliance/wiki/AdjacentFeatures
  to the extensions page here:
http://www.biodas.org/wiki/DAS1.6E#Adjacent_Feature_filter noting in
large letters that it was agreed by the community on such a such a date?

Jonathan Warren
Senior Developer and DAS coordinator
blog: http://biodasman.wordpress.com/
jw12 at sanger.ac.uk