[DAS] DAS client libraries

Thomas Down thomas.a.down at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 13:44:55 UTC 2011

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 1:27 PM, Leyla Garcia <ljgarcia at ebi.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I need to know what DAS client libraries are available. So far I am aware
> of JsDAS and Bio::DAS::Lite but still do not know more about them.
> If you have a DAS client library, could you please send me this
> information?

Well, it hasn't really been "sold" as a library, but it is open source (BSD
license) and would be fairly easy to separate out if another client wanted
to use it, so:

> Client Library Name

das.js

http://github.com/dasmoth/dalliance

> Language

Javascript

> Platform

Modern web browsers, plus IE8+.

> Clients built upon it

Dalliance

> Main advantages

Very lightweight.
No external dependencies
Designed for asynchronous operation.
Can do cross-origin fetching (including credentialed CORS) on most browsers.
Empirical testing suggests it's pretty tolerant of any DAS XML "in the wild"
at the moment.

> Known restrictions/disadvantages

Missing support for a few things we don't currently use in Dalliance (e.g.
DSN requests, structure extension, etc.).
Currently not easy to cancel in-flight requests (although that's something
we're working on).

> Currently supported (yes/no, who)

Yes, file a ticket in Github or e-mail me.

> Current version

Linked to Dalliance releases, current version is 0.5.7 (0.6 should be out in
the next few days, but doesn't have any major changes to the DAS backend).

> DAS spec supported

1.5, 1.6

           Thomas.