[DAS] plans for 1.6 release

Jonathan Warren jw12 at sanger.ac.uk
Fri Sep 3 10:02:32 UTC 2010

Hi Thomas and Andy

Thanks for posting this to the list.
I don't think from our brief discussions at the Sanger/EBI that people
here would object to moving to the DAS2 way for parents/parts. My
impression of the DAS2 spec was that it was thought about and
discussed in great detail and thus there would be very good reasons
for doing it this way? Also an advantage of moving to this way is that
it has been tested by people implementing DAS2 extensively already?
As the DAS 1.6 spec is in pretty much every other respect (apart from
minor things like cvIds) a consolidation of the way DAS "IS" being
used in the community surely it has been tested already?

The main principles of the 1.6 spec have been largely unchanged for
over a year and were agreed by everyone at the 3rd day of the workshop
in 2009- most changes say over the last 6 months I believe have
largely been clarifications. The last year or so the DAS1.6 spec was
supposed to be in a testing phase - but I agree that maybe not many
clients have tested it yet. There has been much work at the EBI on
clients and servers for proteins with 1.6.

I would like the spec to be set in stone, but I don't think it needs
to be that way and I don't see that it can't be tweaked if needs be
shortly after initial release. I think by releasing the spec we are
saying "this is how the DAS community  think the system should work
and we have provided servers that conform to that spec, code that will
help clients process the xml and a registry that can validate and hold
1.6 data sources". Given the lack of testing buy clients so far, I'm
not sure how we can move DAS forward any other way?

The current situation is that Andy has kindly agreed to postpone the
release for another week or so for developers to look at the spec and
preferably do some testing with it.

It would be really great to get some more feedback from client
developers and some  more 1.6 clients out there using 1.6 - thanks for
your wise words Thomas.

Jonathan Warren
Senior Developer and DAS coordinator
blog: http://biodasman.wordpress.com/