[DAS] Dalliance: a new genome DAS client

Jonathan Warren jw12 at sanger.ac.uk
Tue Aug 3 20:52:07 UTC 2010

This is very cool - I had a look the other day. Was wondering why some
sources could be attached and some can't....
Best browser experience yet by far I'd say.

No problems about adding CORS support - for the record I'm very happy
to implement new capabilities testing and other suggestions to the
registry from anyone who cares to drop me a line. Especially if it's
going to enhance and promote the use of the registry :)

On 3 Aug 2010, at 20:41, Thomas Down wrote:

> As some of you already know, I've been experimenting recently with a
> web-based DAS client for genomic data.  It's still in
> a unashamedly prototypical state (in particular, some of the popups
> and
> configuration stuff is outright clunky, and we know it!), but we're
> starting
> to find it quite useful, and would be interested to receive more
> feedback.
> So if you're curious, you can try it here:
>
>               http://www.biodalliance.org/human/ncbi36/
>
> It's a fully-fledged DAS/1.53 client (with a few bits of DAS/1.6, and
> hopefully rather more coming soon), but has one major caveat: since
> it's
> pure Javascript code running in your web browser, there are
> limitations to
> which servers it can connect to.  Specifically, it will only work
> with DAS
> servers that implement the W3C cross-origin resource sharing model
> (which
> has been discussed on this list before, but drop me a line if you've
> got any
> questions).  What does this mean in practice?  If you're adding
> datasources
> from the registry, things are simple because Dalliance will only
> allow you
> to add CORS-enabled sources (a huge thanks to Jonathan Warren for
> adding
> some support for this in the registry).  If you run your own DAS
> servers and
> don't list them in the registry, you'll need to check for CORS
> compatibility
> yourself.  The latest versions of Proserver and Dazzle should both
> be okay.
>
> All comments, suggestions, and bug reports are welcome!
>
>                   Thomas Down.

Jonathan Warren
Senior Developer and DAS coordinator
blog: http://biodasman.wordpress.com/