[DAS] DAS 1.6 draft

Andy Jenkinson andy.jenkinson at ebi.ac.uk
Mon Mar 30 13:47:53 UTC 2009

Hi all,

As many of you will know, we plan to update the ageing 1.53 version of
the DAS specification currently available on the BioDAS website with one
that hopefully better reflects current usage of DAS. Most changes are
taken from the extensions defined in the extended 1.53E spec, but with
some differences and further additions.

We aim to formally release 1.6 at the end of June, but I have made
available the first draft:
http://www.ebi.ac.uk/~aj/1.6_draft1/documents/spec.html

The hope is that this will give software authors time to prepare, in
order to minimise the impact of the transition. Updated versions of core
client/server libraries (ProServer, Bio-Das-Lite, Dazzle, Dasobert) will
be made available in due course.

I am happy to gather feedback and engage in discussion about the changes
(I won't list them individually here). Especially helpful would be
amendments for sections of the document that would improve clarity,
examples etc. Note that this is still a draft however - in particular,
the structure and alignment commands may be "tidied up" and the
stylesheet glyphs section further fleshed out.

Cheers,
Andy