[DAS] Question about DAS clients and DAS registry servers

Dan Bolser dan.bolser at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 13:34:35 UTC 2009

2009/1/12 Andy Jenkinson <andy.jenkinson at ebi.ac.uk>:
> Hi Dan,
>
> DAS clients tend to be different depending on the type of data you're
> looking at, and have different capabilities. For example, Ensembl is a well
> supported client for (mostly) genomic data, and implements all the most
> recent developments such as the DAS registry (via the sources command).
> However it makes no use of reference servers, instead all reference data is
> stored locally in a database. Dasty is more focussed on protein data.
> GBrowse is another genomic client, but IIRC does not know about the DAS
> registry.
>
> Regarding setting up a local DAS registry, what is this for? If for instance
> you were using Ensembl, any server that implements the sources command can
> potentially be a "registry" from a programmatic point of view, so unless you
> want to have a manual process where you can use a GUI to register a souce,
> you probably don't need to implement a copy of the real thing.

I see what you mean, but what I'm calling 'in-house' could potentially
comprise several different servers at several different locations. The
theory is that they would all be part of a private 'consortium', which
would ultimately become part of the DAS registry proper. In so far as
we would like to keep track of the different DAS servers that we have
'in-house', I thought a registry could be a good solution.

> Looks like the biodas wiki has been getting spammed, must have started
> recently. I'll talk to the admins about sorting it out. We'll probably need
> to update the registration process.

On several wikis using a 'captcha', I found that the following set
rules strikes the right balance between keeping spam down and allowing
unrestrictive access to users:

0) Any user can edit the wiki, because registration puts people off.
1) On any edit, present any anonymous user with a captcha.
2) Registration requires a captcha.
3) Never present a registered user with a captcha.

In the MediaWiki config that looks like this:

// Fix the default captcha behaviour
$wgGroupPermissions['*'            ]['skipcaptcha'] = false;
$wgGroupPermissions['user'         ]['skipcaptcha'] = true;
$wgGroupPermissions['autoconfirmed']['skipcaptcha'] = true;
$wgGroupPermissions['bot'          ]['skipcaptcha'] = true; // registered bots
$wgGroupPermissions['sysop'        ]['skipcaptcha'] = true;

$wgCaptchaTriggers['edit']          = true;
$wgCaptchaTriggers['create']        = true;
$wgCaptchaTriggers['createaccount'] = true;

(all other permissions having their default values)

Thanks for the info above,
Dan.