[DAS] DAS UML modeling

Gregg Helt gregghelt at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 00:29:08 UTC 2008

I've committed my latest DAS UML modeling docs into the genomancer source
repository:
     http://genomancer.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/uml/Das.zuml
     http://genomancer.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/uml/Das.xmi

UML modeling of RESTful web services is not a well-defined area -- please
let me know if you have suggestions.  The diagrams in Das.zuml look good in
the Poseidon UML modeler.  Not sure what they'll look like in other apps,
UML diagram rendering standardization efforts still seem iffy.

I've also committed images of some of the diagrams.  Relevant to discussion
of DAS1 to DAS2 comparisons:

http://genomancer.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/uml/images/DAS%20Feature%20Comparison.png

http://genomancer.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/uml/images/DAS%20Feature%20Alignment%20Comparison%20UML.png
These diagrams compare models of DAS1 features, DAS2 features, and DAS1.53E
alignments side-by-side.  I've added some color-coding to highlight
differences that standard UML wouldn't show.  Model fields that are required
attributes/elements in DAS XML are highlighted in red.  References to
elements within the same document are highlighted in green.  References to
elements in other documents are highlighted in purple.

And here's images of the more complete DAS1 and DAS2 models, which have
served as a basis for the Trellis DAS/2 server framework, the Vine DAS/2
proxy plugin, and the Ivy DAS1 proxy plugin:

http://genomancer.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/uml/images/DAS2%20Abstract%20UML.png

http://genomancer.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/uml/images/DAS1%20Abstract%20UML.png

   Gregg