[DAS] [DAS2] [Fwd: Re: Writeback implementation]

Gregg Helt gregghelt at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 23:39:49 UTC 2008

You're right, I'm still being sloppy about my terminology.

I've used the term "relative URI" as it's specified in the predecessor to
RFC 3986, RFC 2396 <http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2396.txt> .  Apologies, many
of my conversations about the merits of URIs predate the release of RFC 3986
in 2005 -- old habits die hard.  And many specs still use the term "relative
URI".  But I'll try not say "relative URI" any more.  On the other hand, I
_really_ dislike the term "relative reference" because it's so generic, with
no indication of a relation to URIs in the term.  So if it's okay from now
on I'll use the term "relative URI reference" for what I've been calling
"relative URI" and what RFC 3986 calls "relative reference".

Argument via Google for using "relative URI reference":
Search for "relative uri reference" --  9,130 hits, all on first two pages
are relevant
Search for "relative reference" --   272,000 hits, _none_ on first two pages
are relevant, they're either using "relative reference" as a general
computer science term or specifically in relation to Excel.

So let me rephrase.  Every feature in DAS/2.0 has a unique URI.  In the
feature XML this is represented by the "uri" attribute of the FEATURE
element, which is a URI reference (URI or relative URI reference), and
optional xml:base attributes in the document.  DAS/2.0 uses the XML Base
specification <http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlbase/> to resolve relative URI
references via xml:base attributes and/or the URI the document is a
representation of.

So as you suggested, URI references are used in DAS/2.0 to optionally allow
shorthand in the XML for URIs.
Also as you suggested, the Trellis/Ivy DAS1-->DAS2 proxy uses "./" prefixing
to try and make relative URI references out of DAS1 IDs when the ID by
itself is neither a URI nor a relative URI reference.

       So many specs, so little time...
       Gregg