[DAS] Error when testing diplo

Andreas Kahari ak at ebi.ac.uk
Tue Nov 14 10:14:18 UTC 2006

On Tue, Nov 07, 2006 at 09:18:39AM +0100, Joke Reumers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm testing a DAS Diplo server (ini and adjusted Plugin files are pasted at
> the bottom of the mail), and when I try to run the server, I get the
> following error:
> Your vendor has not defined Socket macro SO_REUSEPORT, used at
> /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.7/IO/Socket/INET.pm line 161
>
> Anyone ever encountered this error?
>
> Thanks,
> Joke

Dear Joke,

(It looks as if you either have your system clock one week in the
past, or your message was blocked for a week somewhere before it was
delivered)

I've been developing on a OpenBSD system, and I haven't properly tested
the code on Linux (which I assume you're running), so it seems that
you've found an incompatibility.  This is easily fixed though.

Locate the Diplo.pm Perl module in the Diplo distribution and simply
change all occurrences of the word "ReusePort" to "ReuseAddr" (there's
two of them).  This should make it work.  I will make this change in
future releases.

FYI:  I'm currently thinking about how to replace the Net::Daemon
back-end of Diplo (which has some nasty habits of hiding error messages)
with Net::Server.  This will change quite a lot of the internals of the
server but should hopefully not impact on existing plugins (too much).
But since it's December soon and I have a number of deadlines looming, I
will have to postpone any development until next year.

Regards,
Andreas

--
Andreas Kähäri :: Ensembl Software Developer