[DAS] Re: Protein DAS and C. elegans

Tony Cox avc at sanger.ac.uk
Sat May 24 09:58:21 EDT 2003

Lincoln,

I think feature linking by ID is common becasue it is (a) the simplest thing
to do from the drawing code point of view and (b) because it is not
obvious/clear how to manipulate the <TARGET> and  <GROUP> tag contents and
attributes when loading data into an LDAS server.

Maybe it would be nice to add another data field to allow the explicit
setting of the <GROUP> and/or <TAGET> tags - or indeed any of the other tags
down there in the FEATURE object that may be useful like <NOTE>.

> Lincoln,
>
> this is indeed what I am doing, and I very much welcome the move to
> modify the spec to allow this explicitly (from what I can make out it
> isn't disallowed anyway).
> However I feel that I have to make absolutely clear what Tony said about
> it because I think I have been ever so slightly misunderstood.

I don't know how....

> So far as
> I can recall from what Tony said no other Protein DAS server is doing
> this, only mine, but he said "We routinely use same IDs to 'link'
> features into a structure.... If Ensembl encounters a list of exon
> features all with the same ID it groups them into a transcript." I think
> perhaps referring to non-protein DAS.

Look Julian, I don't draw a distinction between "protein DAS", "non-protein
DAS" or any other perceived 'flavour' of DAS.  It is all about serving
annotations on a sequence. Proteins are not a special case. Grouping by
feature ID is simply expedient whether it is to link exons in DNA or domains
on a swissprot sequence. The main thing is that the spec is able to allow
people to get their data out there easily and not bog them down in semantic
quicksand.

Tony