[DAS] Finding the ADAM2 Gene via Ensembl DAS

Ethan Cerami ecerami@yahoo.com
Sun, 19 Jan 2003 09:07:37 -0800 (PST)

Hi Everybody:

I recently read the Nature guide, "A Users Guide to
the Human Genome" (http://www.nature.com/genomics/),
and the first exercises is to locate a gene and its
neighboring genes via NCBI, Ensembl and UCSC.

I thought it would be interesting to recreate this
exercise using DAS directly, but I am having some
difficulty.

First some overview:  if you click on this link:
http://www.ensembl.org/Homo_sapiens/contigview?highlight=&chr=8&vc_start=38800000&vc_end=39190000&x=0&y=0,
in the detailed panel on the bottom, you will see two
known genes, ADAM18 and ADAM2.

I am trying to get this same gene data out of Ensembl
via DAS.  I tried several Ensembl data sources,
including:  ensembl930, ens_ncbi30refseq
(Ensembl-mapped Human RefSeqs), ens930cds (Ensembl
CDS).  I finally tried ens_ncbi30trans (NCBI
Transcripts).  Here's the query I sent:

http://servlet.sanger.ac.uk:8080/das/ens_ncbi30trans/features?segment=8:38800000,39190000

In the response, I got back 14 features, all named
ADAM2, but each one is located at a different
location.

So, my questions:

1.  Am I using the right Ensembl data source?
2.  Why do I get back 14 ADAM2 Genes, instead of just
one?
3.  Why don't I get back the ADAM18 gene?

Many thanks!

Ethan