[DAS] Re: "detailed view" das view problem

Frank R Visser vissef00@mh.uk.sbphrd.com
13 May 2002 21:19:31 +0100

Tony Cox <avc@sanger.ac.uk> writes:

> On 13 May 2002, Frank R Visser wrote:

> I'm not sure what the DAS spec says on this point...ah here it is:
>
> "Annotation servers are only required to return annotations which are completely
> contained within the indicated segment. Servers may also return annotations
> which overlap the segment, but are not completely contained within
> them."
>
> ...which I guess means you can do what you like to be OK with the spec and is
> therefore both a feature and a bug ;-)

But, when I query my annotation server, it actually returns the
'correct' result: it says there is a feature in this region which
overlaps the actual view area. Because the features are so large they
are in chromosomal coordinates. Ensembl takes it upon itself to throw
away the result. If the annotation server does not return a result I
could understand it, but that is not the case.

So I would classify it as a bug in Ensembl: the annotation server
reports a result, the viewer decides that it is not a real hit...

> You should however be able to get features that completely overlap the viewable
> region. Do you noe see these? I think we need to look at how the features are
> selected and see if we can catch these things.

Nope, if the begin and end-point are outside the view region it does
not display. Just go the website and try some extended features.