[DAS] dsn

David James Sherman David.Sherman@LaBRI.FR
Fri, 22 Mar 2002 13:56:45 +0100

Except that the entry points /define/ a coordinate system, not a
interesting (bookmarked) position on a coordinate system. They are the
origin of your number line. Feature coordinates on different number
lines---for example, on different chromosomes---are incomparable.

Of course, the starting point for an exploration on the server need
not be the list of entry points. It could be a server-published list
of interesting features, which could be entry points (number line
origins), arms, golden path contigs, etc. according to server policy.

I believe that the current protocol doesn't distinguish between the
two roles played by entry points (coord. system and starting point).

  > From:    "Matthew Pocock" <matthew_pocock@yahoo.co.uk>
  > Cc:      <das@biodas.org>
  > Date:    Fri, 22 Mar 2002 12:23:04 GMT
  > Subject: Re: [DAS] dsn

  > So, like a server-published list of bookmarked features?
  >
  > > The entry points were intended to be a well-known location where the
  > > end user could enter the genome.  There are supposed to be no more
  > > entry points than an be displayed in a popup menu.  For example,
  > > the list of chromosomes.
  > >
  > >  Lincoln

djs               David J. Sherman          (David.Sherman@LaBRI.FR)
                  Laboratoire Bordelais de Recherche en Informatique
                  voix : +33 5 56 84 6922     fax : +33 5 56 84 6669
                  icbm : 44°48'28.2"/-00°35'47.4"/49m