[DAS] Re: LDAS server limits

Tony Cox avc@sanger.ac.uk
Mon, 24 Jun 2002 10:55:40 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 21 Jun 2002, Tony Cox wrote:

+>On Fri, 21 Jun 2002, Lincoln Stein wrote:
+>
+>OK, lets try it. I've just kicked off a database load - we'll see what
+>happens... :)
+>

Well, I finally got a bit bored of waiting for the DB to load so I killed it off
at 41,278,000 records. That's just under 50% of the total data.

The performance is still excellent though, I couldn't see any major problem with
running this kind of database on our production machines. Of course you get a
lot of data back so you have to wait for it to travel over the wire - but
strictly from the point of selecting the features it is no problem at all.

Tony

+>
+>
+>+>Hi Tony,
+>+>
+>+>I haven't pushed the server above about 6 M features, but performance was not
+>+>noticeably affected at that level.  I know that it can handle all of dbSNP,
+>+>because we serve that already.  98M ESTs might be pushing it, but I'd love to
+>+>find out.
+>+>
+>+>Lincoln
+>+>