[DAS] DAS list is now set to "members only" for posting but I need your help

chris dagdigian dag@sonsorol.org
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 18:49:00 -0400

Hi folks,

I sent a "what we are doing to fight spam" message to this list a while
ago and mentioned that we cannot just up and make this list moderated
without the list members themselves agreeing to the change (some people
are very against closed discussion lists). No response except for more
complaints about spam.

One of the things that I mentioned was that we do not have the
administrative bandwidth to personally take on moderator duties for this
list. If we make this list moderated or take it to members-post-only
status then someone will have to deal with the posts from non-members
that will get diverted into the moderator queue.

Given that we lost Sean Eddy over spam and that you folks seem to get
more than the usual amount I have just converted the list from open to
"only members can post".

This is going to make extra work for me and I could really use a
volunteer or two to step up and offer to take on the task of reviewing
the queued-for-moderator-attention email messages. Anyone with a web
browser can do this.

If I'm the only one doing the approve/discard then valid messages from
non-members may get held up for a day or more until I have the time to
look at the DAS queue.

We can use 2 types of volunteers:

o someone who is only interested in expediting queued messages for the
DAS list. This will literally take a few minutes of time per week.

o someone who is willing to join our volunteer "openbio mailteam" and
handle web-based list management tasks for all of Open-Bio.org. This
involves getting daily emails that say stuff like: "9 messages to
bioper-l held for review..." but only takes a few minutes of work per
day to get through. The messages can be filtered into a low priority
folder for action whenever there is time.

Anyone?

-Chris
open-bio.org

--
Chris Dagdigian, <dag@sonsorol.org>
Independent life science IT & informatics consulting