[DAS] Opening Ports and security Issues?

Thomas Down td2@sanger.ac.uk
Thu, 3 Jan 2002 19:11:54 +0000

On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 06:24:29PM +0000, Ewan Birney wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Jan 2002, Cheung, Foo wrote:
>
> > Hi all
> >
> > With the security set up here and the DAS Viewers I have to get the IT
> > department to open ports every time I have to connect to a new DAS provider.
> > I have been told that this is a major security issue.
> >

> DAS works solely off http requests so assumming you can web browse you
> should be able to see DAS servers - ie, the ports should be open across
> your firewall anyway ----
>
>   ---- hmmm ---- I guess if your firewall is proxying this wont work as
> well. Should DAS work through proxies?

Definitely!  The DAS protocol runs over absolutely
standard HTTP, and it's always worked fine through
proxy servers whenever I've tried it.

For Matthew's Java test client (das-client.jar), and
for most other Java applications, you can add the
following options to the command line:

  -DproxyHost=wwwcache.mycompany.com -DproxyPort=8012

Thomas.