[DAS] LDAS/DasClient problems

Thomas Down td2@sanger.ac.uk
Tue, 5 Feb 2002 22:54:15 +0000

On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 04:06:57PM -0800, Mr Dmitriy Ryaboy wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> I've been trying to set up a DAS annotation server at
> http://zilla.lbl.gov/cgi-bin/das , but I keep running
> into some problems..  I installed LDAS following
> Lincoln Stein's excellent instructions, and using
> slightly different test data (see below, along with
> the .conf file).  Ldasdump works, http query work.
> When I try to view the annotation on Ensembl's
> DasClient, however, I get the following error:

Hi...

I've added a workaround to the BioJava DAS library which
now allows it to communicate with the current LDAS release.  You can
download a new DasClient build including this code from:

   http://www.biojava.org/download/das-client/

(Make sure you get the latest build -- currently 20020205).

There are still a couple of other issues:

  - When the client requests a stylesheet from your server,
    the HTTP connection gets dropped (without even an error
    message).  This suggests some kind of server error -- not
    sure if this is an LDAS bug or a local misconfiguration.
    You'll get an error as a result of this, but if you click
    `Continue', DasClient will auto-generate a stylesheet then
    carry on, so don't worry about it too much for now.

  - Having connected to your server, I can browse around
    without any errors, but I must confess that I haven't
    actually seen any features.  This might just mean that
    there aren't very many features in your server and I
    haven't looked in the right place, but it could also mean
    there's a problem -- especially if, as you say, you can't
    see features on the Ensembl website either.

Let me know if I can help any further with this,

    Thomas.