[DAS] LDAS/DasClient problems

Lincoln Stein lstein@cshl.org
Tue, 5 Feb 2002 12:39:35 -0500

Hi Thomas,

Now it makes sense.  I thought you were asking for the annotation servers to
distinguish between SEGMENTERROR and LANDMARKNOTANNOTATED.

How do you feel about calling the latter tag <SEGMENTUNKNOWN> (to be issued
by annotation servers only), since it is completely noncommittal about
whether the segment is an error or just unannotated.

So I'm updating the LDAS server to do the following:

	1) <SEGMENTERROR> for reference servers
	2) <SEGMENTUNKNOWN> for annotation servers
	3) pass the "id" attribute in the features request
		to look up a feature by its ID
		- can return several segments if the feature spans
			them
	4) the HTTP header to contain some capabilities information:
		x-das-capabilities:  multiple-segments; segment-status; xff-format;
				feature-by-id

How do you feel about modifying XFF slightly in order to normalize groups?  I
would love to be able to give exons unique IDs and then to explicitly assign
them to different splice patterns, rather than duplicating them within the
document.

With regards to Dmitry's original problem, I can either produce an
intermediate version of LDAS that will give empty segments when a landmark is
not recognized so that it will work with Dazzle right now, or I can release a
version with the above modifications.  This will require coordinate changes
in Dazzle, Bio::DAS, and any other client libs floating around.  Or you can
patch Dazzle to accept LDAS's silent omission of missing landmarks.  Which do
you prefer?

Lincoln

lstein@cshl.org			                  Cold Spring Harbor, NY