[DAS] Question about das development.

Christopher Lewis lewisCT@agr.gc.ca
Mon, 19 Aug 2002 15:44:09 -0400

I've responded inline and have added Foo Cheung to the CC list as he contacted me about using our browser (the SVG Open link) as the basis for a DAS system.

Chris Lewis
Bioinformatics Programmer
Saskatoon Research Center
Agriculture and Agri-food Canada
lewisCT@em.agr.ca
phone: 306-956-7693

>>> "Kulp, David" <david_kulp@affymetrix.com> 08/19/02 11:41am >>>
>From the whizbang angle, I've been thinking about a DAS-SVG viewer.  The
"problem" is typical for genome browser displays: too many features
significantly slows down display, both in terms of data transmission and SVG
client rendering.

We found the load tolerable for our purposes.  As you start adding additional data it becomes necessary to think about the difference views you need.  We opted for a chromosome view, a BAC view, a gene view, a sequence view and a annotation view.  Each of these opens in an SVG 'window' inside the browser.  As long as you don't try to jam everything into one display, and your client has a decent amount of processing power, it seems to be ok.

I looked a little into how one might deal with dynamic
content and semantic zooming.  It turns out that the Adobe viewer provides
two non-standard hooks which allow you to make URL calls and to parse the
returning document into a DOM.

This is what we've done, we've used the postURL and parseXML methods to fetch and dynamically display data in our browser.

Thus, Javascript callbacks could be attached
to zoom levels, hidden tracks, or objects, which caused the server to be
queried for additional SVG which was then attached to the existing DOM.
Sounds very cool!

Haven't done anything with zoom levels, but what you describe is certainly possible.

But another problem is that SVG (at least with Adobe's viewer) has a
hard-limit of 8 levels of zoom, i.e. a 256X zoom, but unless you're fancy,
it's really just 4 levels of zoom in and 4 out.  That's not enough to go
from nucleotide to chromosome.

Have decided not to use the mouse-click zoom with our browser for two reasons:

1) The 8 zoom levels that you mention
2) There is no way (that I found) to restrict the mouse-click zoom to a specific portion of the document (though you could work around it).

Instead I modify the transform attribute for the elements...  Each SVG 'window' in our framework has a transform object associated with it, and this is adjusted to scale and translate the content within the window.

We're working to get a public version of our browser out on the web.  I would be quite interested in working with people on other SVG based projects.  One thing worth mentioning is that text handling in SVG, especially text entry, is awkward in SVG and might pose a problem for a DAS system.

cheers,
Chris

-d