[DAS] ###ID###'s and Links in Ensembl DAS

Tony Cox avc@sanger.ac.uk
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 09:07:09 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 19 Apr 2002, James Freeman wrote:

Hi Jim,

+>To whom it may concern,

that would be me ;)

+>
+>If I am viewing a genomic region in Ensembl's contigview, and I have
+>successfully created viewable annotations served from an LDAS annotation
+>server, the next logical question is about the link provided in the
+>popup window from Ensembl.

The Ensembl browser is not (nor claims to be) a fully compliant DAS browser - as
your current problems with LINK tags shows. Ensembl does not use the LINK tag
although there is a way to attach a URL to any DAS source feature that you
browse in Ensembl. It is probably something that we should add.

+>
+>If I am correctly sending a link element in the GFF returned from the
+>LDAS server as specified in "Retrieve the Annotations Across a Segment "
+>section of:
+>http://www.biodas.org/documents/spec.html

I'm afraid we we do not implement the spec. We have had to draw a suitable line
between supporting the fetching of data but displaying it in a format that is
consistent with Ensembl. Another thing we don't support is the DAS stylesheet
for formatting features -  it would add some complications to the way we display
data that we don't need just now. Anyway, there are number of "real" DAS
browsers out there for this purpose.

+>
+>for each annotation I am serving.  How could the link be added to the
+>popup window in Ensembl?

I'll see if we can get something added.

Tony

+>