[DAS] RE: agave lives now at http://www.animorphics.net/lifesci.html

Brian King kingb_98@yahoo.com
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 14:00:24 -0700 (PDT)

David,

Thanks for forwarding the note.  Regarding the AGAVE
IP, I can't speak with authority since I'm not
associated with the current owners of the AGAVE name,
but I can tell you my understanding of the AGAVE
licensing terms.  The AGAVE license is modeled after
the Apache open source license.  DoubleTwist retained
the name "AGAVE", but the schema itself can be freely
distributed.  Modifications can be distributed
provided they don't have the name "AGAVE".  So you are
free to add an alignment format to the schema as long
as you don't call the new schema "AGAVE".  The DAS
community can use AGAVE as is, and if they wanted to
extend AGAVE, one option might be to redistribute it
under another name such as "BioXML".  Another would be
to get the AGAVE name from the current owners.

Regards,
Brian