[DAS] DAS setup questions

James Freeman jfreeman@variagenics.com
Fri, 12 Apr 2002 11:46:23 -0400

Hi Graeme,

This problem is one I have faced before, my choice was to get an LDAS
server for annotations and use the Dazzle engine to serve an internal
Ensembl reference server, which worked fine.  I still suggest an LDAS
annotation server, at least to get to the demo and then to debug your
Dazzle annotation server at your leisure.  However, you mentioned before
that you set up a Tomcat 4.0 server for Dazzle, I would strongly suggest
Resin:

http://www.caucho.com/

It is better and free to academics, but worth the money.

I suggest that you set up an internal Ensembl reference server using
Dazzle under Resin, which is really easy at this point, then point your
internal Dazzle annotation server to your internal Dazzle reference
server and check the logs, I also suggest Resin because the error log
file for Resin is quite detailed.  You can't debug the external Ensembl
website because you can't see the error logs and to be fair the
developers at Ensembl have other things they are working full time on
and can't spend alot of time looking at vague bug reports, however they
are quite responsive when you give them a repeatable provable error.  I
completely internal Ensembl service gives you all of the software and
all of the information needed to start testing and debugging.  It is
pretty easy to do as well.

Good luck,

Jim